R2 on FEET! REAL FEET!!
I had some time to work on R2..got the feet painted and put them on.
Looks cool..but ran into unexpected problems. I hope I can solve them or R2 wil be STATIC (not move).
The center foot doens thave the side moons on yet (they arent quite dry yet). One side will just pop on with magnets (same ones I used for the restraining bolt). This will give me access to get the bolt out and the foot off. The problem with the middle foot is the swivel caster it uses. For now I tightened the bolt TIGHT so it will stay parallel to the floor, but I will try to drill & tapp a small screw in to hold it in position, otherwise the shell will push onto the floor and drag badly.
The outer feet have a problem. The scooter drive wheel is at the back and so that the foot doesnt swivel and drag on the ground I have small rigid catsers at the front to hold it flat. That should have worked in theory, but the foot is bottoming out (or topping out) against the ankle. As a result the scooter drive wheels arent even touching the floor. If I remove the front rigid casters then the front of the foot shell will drag into the floor. I am going to try to file the ankle down enough so that the foot pushes easily flat, then the weight SHOULD be evenly dispersed to the scooter drive wheels and the front rigid caster (front of the outer feet).
The feet turned out ok, but kinda rough. They were a nightmare to make and now have lots of scrapes. Oh well..R2 can't look brand new. One foot cracked at a seam while I was pushing it on..so that has to be filled and touched up. DAMN~!
Here are a couple pics...